Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Moral Dilemma

 It is wrong of me to use my children to get free sushi?  Let me explain.  The adorable sushi lady at our trendy little grocery store appears to get a kick out of my kids ordering sushi.  She makes the rolls very nice for them and instead of 12 pieces she gives them 16 for the same price.  Last time we were there I had my kids place my order.  For the ones I wanted to eat.  They are simple rolls: a little mango, a little avocado, asparagus when it is in season, something crisp like carrot or cuke, and then tuna or salmon.  

So my dilemma is this: I did not ask for the 4 extra pieces, nor did I sneak them out of another pack and put them in one already priced out.  Sushi Lady is making the choice to give the little happy extra and not charging more for it.  But she was not intending it for me.  She was rewarding my kids for being polite and interested in her product and for asking questions about her skill.  And I used them like a tool for my own gain.  Bad mama.  Or am I?  I can't decide.

2 comments:

Jennifer Babbitt said...

Sooooo okay. I encourage your kindness in creating more joy in the Sushi ladies life. You are totally doing her a service. Kids+sushi order=happy sushi lady therefore the more sushi=increased level of joy

Alpha Monkey said...

I appreciate the justification. Really! I was having trouble coming up with my own.