Monday, August 3, 2009

Gifts as metaphors

I don't usually look at a gift received and analyze it.  I try to put care and thought into picking out gifts for others and I really don't even care if I get a thank you note or not.  I just want to make that perfectly clear before we start here so I am in no way jeopardizing future gift receiving on my end.  I really like getting thoughtful little things.  And then this happened:

If it wasn't called "Friendship Bread" it wouldn't have struck me as funny.  If it had been labeled "sourdough starter" or "Herman" or whatever else people call the gooey mass they keep on the counter I would have fed him and stirred him and shared him and then eaten him.  But this particular blob was called "Friendship Bread Starter" which got me thinking about the symbolism of giving fermented goo as a symbol of friendship.   

It comes with directions to stir and feed it.  It multiplies.  It is not unlike a low-maintenance house pet that you can eat.  And one would, presumably, give this to someone who likes to cook as a way of saying: "Here is a homegrown product that was given to me by a friend.  I have tended and cared for it.  And I love to eat the baked goods it leavens SO much that I want to share it with you as well.  This isn't fast food.  This kind of quality takes time and is worth waiting for.  We will tend and care for this together and you can also enjoy the yummy pancakes and loaves of bread.  Because I am your friend and you are my friend.  And sharing is good."

But what does it say about the friendship when the starter was passed on in a sandwich sized baggie along with the reminder that it needs a bigger home? Immediately.  It was labeled "day 3" and I can only assume this is correct but there were no directions attached so I can't be certain.  A day later a scanned-in copy of a fax was emailed but is very difficult to read.

I have decided it says "I was thinking that maybe we could start a friendship but I am not very good at this sort of thing.  Perhaps you would take care of that for me?  And maybe you could figure out how to do that without me because I am a terribly busy person.  I am expecting minimal contact most days, with a call on day 6 and then maybe an invitation to dinner on day 10.  Thanks, you're the best!"

It is the thought that counts.

No comments: