Thursday, January 7, 2010

Hey, Soul Sister!

I do not know when I lost my love of Pop music. I suspect it started somewhere around when Country made that aggressive cross-over move. I didn't stop loving music, or start ignoring new releases. I just avoided Shania and Garth and Billy Ray with my fingers in my ears and some la-la-la-I-can't-hear-you's. My dislike was passionate.

When my parents moved out of my childhood home...I peeled back the carpet in my room and wrote a declaration of sorts on the subfloor. I left my autograph behind...for when I was famous. But among the things I promised was to never let my taste in music go stale. I was melodramatic at 15. Big surprise, right?

But Once Upon a Time, my swinging arms and kicking feet would have given Molly Ringwald a run for her money. There was not a song on the Pop radio station that I didn't know the lyrics to. And then...I let it all go. I went Alternative. (I still love me some Trash Can Sinatras.)

But there is a new song, out there. Rather Poppy. And the first few lines are: "Hey, hey, hey. Your lipstick stains...on the front lobe of my left-side brains." How can you not LOVE that! And it is not the only song on the album that I have found myself humming for about a week. The album itself is like the love child of my former Pop and Indy flames. But mostly, "Hey, Soul Sister" has me wanting to just play the second track from Train's Save Me, San Francisco on a continuous loop all day.

It feels a little like when I was 16 and I finally figured out what innuendo was and I recorded AC/DC's "You Shook Me All Night Long" 14.5 times in a row on a cassette to sing LOUDLY in the car on my way to and from Chapel Mass at Catholic School. Good times!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that is a great song to sing while driving in your vehicle! good tune mama & I have to say I sound pretty good singing it - I like the madonna refernce in the song