Wednesday, January 27, 2010

5 reasons I need to go to the Galapagos Islands

1. It all started with Rex Harrison. I have a thing for Dr. Dolittle..."If we could walk with the animals, talk with the animals, grunt and squeak and squawk with the animals, and they could squeak and squawk and speak and talk to us!" And the Galapagos might just be the last place on Earth to do this. See #2.

2. The animals there have been managed with respect and have not learned to fear humans yet. The thought of this makes me shiver.

3. To land where the HMS Beagle landed.

4. To stand where Darwin standed. (Cut me some slack on that one.)

5. 3 kinds of Boobies!! (Birds, of course.)

8 comments:

Pat said...

I got all excited about the 3 kinds of boobies until I re-read your post. Thought I was missing out on something!

Alpha Monkey said...

Maybe they should emphasize that point in the eco-tourisim business!

Pat said...

That's OK, I don't really need to know where any birds are.

Alpha Monkey said...

I meant to emphasize the Boobies part. To trap some accidental tourists, like yourself!

Pat said...

Right, Boobies! Well, I doubt I make it to any uninhabited islands soon, but I may spot a boobie in Las Vegas next week, or as I like to call, the Galapagos of the American Southwest.

Alpha Monkey said...

Pat wins the funny award for the week!!! LOVE IT!

Cal said...

My little brother just got back from a week in the Galapagos and Ecuador. Little punk. The only thing that makes me a little less jealous is he fact he good altitude sickness and puked for two days straight.
Hmm...
That might be mean of me.
Oh well!

Alpha Monkey said...

Your poor brother! It was probably difficult to enjoy the Boobies while he was puking.