Friday, July 10, 2009

Well, what would you say?

(The following snippet from my life is rated PG. But only because the young man involved is 5, not 25. A 25 year old would have earned this an NC17, especially if he was cleaning my pool.)

Last night as Big C's baseball game was wrapping up I was standing with two other Moms as the younger children drifted back from the playground. The players were all jumping around congratulating themselves on a really great win. The coaches and dads were all in a huddle trying to figure out what they did that worked so well.

And then it happened. The scene you only ever see in mediocre movies. The one you can't suspend your disbelief for but it makes you laugh nonetheless. The kind of thing only Diane Lane can manage with some appearance of grace while quietly dying inside.

A young boy walks right in to the middle of the mamas, reaches out his hand and...plunks it down on my right breast while saying, "Hey, nice Boob." I do have to add, for the sake of my own vanity, that his tone was not sarcastic but utterly sincere. The sweet child was being complimentary. And it is nice. Especially the right one. I smiled right back at the boy and replied, "Thank you." Because that is what you say when someone says something nice to you. And also when you don't want to embarrass the child or mother any further.

Did I mention his mother also happened to be in the middle of the muddle? Ah yes, and now let us all share a communal cringe for that poor mama who pulled her smiling child aside while doing her best Diane Lane impression.

4 comments:

Jennifer Babbitt said...

awesome. Did the mom ever say anything to you? Love a little boob grabbing.

Alpha Monkey said...

Actually, she was very gracious. She thanked me for remaining calm.

Lorraine said...

Something like this happened to me a few years ago at my niece's fifth birthday party. As I was serving his cake, wee Jeremy slipped his hand down my shirt and just smiled beatifically. I wasn't a mom then and felt a little, well, ODD about the whole thing for a couple of seconds, but then I took it for what it was: a small male's expression of complete satisfaction with his life.

Alpha Monkey said...

I am a HUGE hit with the nursing babies to age six crowd. Then there are many dry years but it picks up again when they turn about age 60 and no longer care if I see them looking down my top.