Monday, July 20, 2009

Achtung!

So my biggins are taking Space Camp this week.  It is the real deal.  On a military installation and everything.  The focus is math, science, and engineering.  They get a computer for the week with headphones and a joystick for flight simulations.  They get to use a CAD program to design a part for a rocket which is then extruded from some machine according to their specs.  They get to test out other designs in a wind tunnel.  It promises to be an exciting week!  Forget sports camp.  This is the kind of thing that thrills my nerdlings.  

Miss M was chatting with a girlfriend on the phone this weekend and was overheard saying, "I think this camp could be good for my career."  ????!

Big C's imagination is spinning!  He can't decide if he is in pilot training with Rogue Squadron or if he has been shipped off to Battle School like Ender and Bean.  Either way he is SO excited.  

Being a Base, security is tight.  We were greeted by armed guards before we even got to the security checkpoint.  The kids were wondering, a little too loudly for my comfort, if my ID would clear or if I would be detained.  I curtly shushed them. 

At least they waited until we were driving again before talking about all of the security measures and structures.  Little C pointed out the curving spikes and the gate like a portcullis.  I pointed out each spring-loaded barrier we drove over.  The kids tried to imagine what would pop up if security was breached.  Miss M thought a concrete barrier.  Big C went with spikes.  Little C is sure they are rigged with explosives.

And, because they are my special little darlings, they also starting talking about all of the ways you could get around these protective measures.  Big C especially, because then he planned out counter measures and the appropriate evasive response.  

Needless to say, I dropped them off with a warm hearted, "Please don't let them hear you all plotting to circumvent the security."

To which Miss M said, "Yeh!  We better behave on base because did you see those guns?"

Punctuated by Big C's incredulous: "Come on...They're not gonna plug a kid!"


2 comments:

Jennifer Babbitt said...

Okay Space Camp is still one of my all time favorite movies. Are they sleeping over there or coming home at night? Tell them good luck and have fun!

Alpha Monkey said...

They come home. I just put that movie on the top of my Que at Netflix! They should get to see it this week still. I will pass on the well wishes.