Saturday, December 26, 2009

Confusion says....

I have had a fascination with Mah-Jongg since I was a little girl. My Hawaiian Aunt had a very beautiful set. And I have fond memories from the age of 12 nibbling her thin, homemade butter cookies and watching my beautiful baby cousin sleep to the sound of clicking tiles and chattering Aunties.

Yesterday morning there was a heavy box under the tree with my name on it. And when I unwrapped it, I was completely surprised to find a Mah-Jongg set. Good job, Moose! Nothing compares to the solidity and satin finish of a Bakelite tile. They smell like the keys on my Grandmother's Organ (she used to play music for silent movies!). And when no one is looking I love the coolness of the buttery plastic against my lips.

But I have never played an actual game of Mah-Jongg. Excited to finally learn, I dove into the instruction book this morning. Oh Dear. I think they skipped step one which should have been "drown yourself in gin if you want this to make any sense." And since it is a tad early in the day for that, I will console myself with building pyramids for now.

2 comments:

Lorraine said...

I love that we both wrote a gin-based entry today.

Alpha Monkey said...

It's 5:07. Pyramids finishing. Gin beginning.