Monday, December 28, 2009

The gifts keep coming!

Guess what else I got for Christmas? Give up? How about some clues?

it involved needles...

a doctor or two...

lead aprons and bullet-proof shields...

it got rid of the pain in my ass...

it rhymes with hemorrhoids...

and is totally legal!

Now do you give up? Steroids! Specifically, Cortisone injections in my SI joint and surrounding tendons. Mama-likey. By the time I got home, the nerve block had gently leaked into my leg and guess what? Zero pain on my left side. Like NOTHING! And this time, when I cried, it was not because I hurt. It was relief. Unimaginable relief.

And I knew the local would wear off. And I did follow directions and take it easy. In fact, the doctor told Moose to carry me around on a pillow, get me anything I ask for, and hire a housekeeper. No joke. I love that woman.

If you are squeamish, you can stop right here. But because I kind of like gross medical things (ok, I love them) and I might not be the only one, I will share this with those of you like me: when the needle punctured the joint space it HISSED!! Like opening a bottle of root beer. There was negative pressure in there. Not anything you would find in a healthy joint.

While I am back to about 80% of my usual pain tonight I am not having any muscle spasm. I also have some hope that when the steroids take effect over the next few days I might actually feel that good again!



1 comment:

Lorraine said...

I once had a ganglion in my wrist drained. Normally, the doctor would have just whacked it with a book and let the fluid be reabsorbed by The Body, but, because this one was So Very Big, he was desperately into putting in a big needle and drawing the goo out. He kept assuring me that the minimal pain would be worth it, as the procedure, while quick, was both cool AND disgusting. He was right.

Feel better soon, dear.

Verification: unches