Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Big C, Little C, what begins with C? Camel on the ceiling, c c c.

This picture always makes me smile.  It is an old picture, but I remember it so clearly.  Little C was pitching a huge fit.  The kind where you worry about the inner-cranial pressure building and it crosses your mind that if he does rupture something it is going to look suspicious on the scan.  He threw it without much of a reason either.  Well, that is not entirely true.  He had a reason.  But the issue did not merit the shade of purple he turned.  The truth is the baby was exhausted.  It is tough to be 2 trying to keep up with a 5 and a 7.  You want to sleep in and your mama drags you out of bed to take your sister to school.  You are in the middle of playing and you have to go with to drop your brother off at preschool.  You want to watch a show and mama pauses it to go get them from school.  And somewhere in between she hauled you to the store again.  And once they are home, you have to play with them.  Going everywhere and climbing everything just the same and doing it all with a diaper in the way.  

I remember leaving the room while he was on the floor kicking the ottoman.  I was in the kitchen and it suddenly went silent.  Not the normal decrescendo and muttering that would signal the end of a tantrum.  Silence.  Flashback to the thought of his brain exploding.  I went in to check and he was passed out on his face on the chair.  Little C had gone from banshee to baby in 0.7 seconds.   He was so tired his body just turned off.  And after checking for a pulse, I checked the clock.  Shit.  It was time to pick him up and put him in the car seat to go get the Biggins from school.  Or...it was time to call in some markers and ask a couple of friends to pick up my other two at their schools.  I picked the latter and let the doll rest.  

At the time, I will be completely honest with you, I called the friends so I wouldn't have to struggle with him again.  My ear drums were tired too.  But it is still one of those mama decisions I made that I am proud of.   

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't it be fun to just shut down like that once in a while?