Monday, April 5, 2010

my mother of all pet peeves

I am not sure if this is a grammatical error or a pet peeve...or perhaps both. I find it irritating when someone, who is not my sibling, says to me, "We were at Mom's house for brunch yesterday." The brunch part is fine. It happens to be my favorite meal. But your mother's actual name is not Mom and she is also, unless you are my sister, not my mom.

Shouldn't there be a possessive pronoun thrown in there? "We were at MY mom's house for brunch yesterday." You know, to show you have a basic understanding of genealogy. Or you could do a proper noun with, "We were at TIM'S mom's house for brunch yesterday," if it was your in-law's eggs you covered with hollandaise and lapped up with some bacon. I can see that the double possessive can be confusing, but it you limit it to two I think I can follow along. Throw one of those "We were at George's ex-wife's cousin's step-mother's place for brunch yesterday...for the kids" and I will lose you.

1 comment:

suzy said...

mm. i agree.
i once worked with this lady who always referred to her husband as "him."
so we'd be talking and she'd say something like, "oh, i'm going with him for lunch today." and i'd say, "who?" thinking i'd missed the first part of the conversation and she'd say, "my husband!" as if i should automatically know that whenever we talk about a man, we are talking about her husband. pft.