Thursday, April 22, 2010

Miss M is not into the pre-teen scene. She's almost 12 and just figured out who Taylor Swift is. I like that about her. I also like that, once aware of her, Miss M has been taking note of her image when she sees it. Oh, I especially like the part where she has diagnosed Miss Swift with bi-polar disorder.




Which naturally led to a discussion about common images and perceptions and what people find attractive and why. Symmetry, neoteny, strength, health, helplessness. It all came up. And how can you have that conversation with a girl and not bring up lip-injections? Because I still want to know why and when society decided that looking like you've been punched in the mouth is sexy.

Who doesn't love a gal who looks like she tolerates abuse?

Just keep smiling. It hides the pain.



2 comments:

Lorraine said...

Do you think that's where the whole "smokey eye" comes from? The idea that you'd look better with two shiners?

I had one of those cultural revelations yesterday in the market. Standing in line, looking at the gossip rags: AND I DIDN'T KNOW WHO ANY OF THOSE PEOPLE WERE. Except they all looked like child prostitutes.

Lorraine said...

Your visitor log thinks I am from Grande Prairie. THERE IS NOTHING GRAND ABOUT THIS PRAIRIE.