Thursday, February 11, 2010

Memo to the Backseat:

Children, children, children...

When you end every sentence with a questioning inflection how am I supposed to know when to nod or say, "Hmmmm," or add, "That's a good question"? In essence, when I am organizing the lives, meals, and schedules of 5 humans and 4 animals in my head as we drive home from school, that rising tone that usually signifies an actual question is my cue. That is how I know that it is time for me to interject some sort of noise to the constant droning hum in the back of the minivan.

And be honest...you don't really care what I have to say at that point anyway. All you want is some slight acknowledgement that I am present. Hint: I am the one driving. But if you need more than that inserted into the cacophony, you will need make it clear when you would like me to join in.

Thank you.
-Alpha

No comments: