Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Great Laundry Experiment: week three

I am not going to bore you with the details of my many, many, failed attempts at keeping up with the laundry. None of them worked. Mostly because I didn't.

I am proud to say, I have FINALLY come up with a process that seems to be working. This solution has proved to be surprisingly simple. Plus, it takes up less space than any other system I have tried to make work.

Here is the run-down:

I put a laundry hamper in each child's closet. They are responsible for putting all of their dirty clothes into them. On the sides I wrote, "right-side out" and "empty your pockets." It took a better part of the first week for the kids to reliably put their dirty clothes in daily. They are also responsible for telling me when it is full AND for helping me put their clothes in the washing machine. It took only twice for them to do this without a reminder. Once dry, they help me fold their clothes and then they put them away. Moose does his own. I do mine. And the only things allowed down the laundry chute are towels and sheets which either Moose or I sort and handle in the basement when the basket at the bottom is full.

That's it.

No more giant pile of stinky clothes at the bottom of the chute. No more digging through baskets of clean clothes to find fresh underpinnings at 7am (or worse...not finding any!). No more rewashing of sour loads I have forgotten about in the washing machine. No more avoiding the task until it is so overwhelming that it takes three days. No more taking three days to wash and fold everything so I avoid it again for as long as possible.

The drawback so far seems to be that you have to pay attention to what gets dropped in so hand-wash items and delicates don't get ruined. I was kind of concerned about washing light and dark clothes together. So far I have not seen any negative side effects.

I would like to say that I am trying this to teach them responsibility. But you all know me better than that. Responsibility is just a bonus. It is easy. That's the truth of it.

Next time I buy red socks or dark-wash jeans I will have to make some adjustments. But for now, it's working.

No comments: