Monday, October 12, 2009

With a little imagination...

Have you all read the Woolen Thong story over at Pioneer Woman (Oct. 9th with a link to it today as well)? Let me summarize it: a young girl wants to be done with little girl undies and asks for a thong. Mother says, "no way." Resourceful child goes home and knits a pair. 100% wool. HEheheheh! I have, in no way, ruined the story by giving you the ending. It is titled "Wool Thong" so you know where it is going. But it is still worth reading!

But the story had me laughing, again today, and remembering when Miss M was 7 and she was into taking everything apart. I use "was" like this phenomenon is something in our past. Truth be told, it is very much our reality. I cannot count the times I have said, "NO REVERSE ENGINEERING!" to my children. You'd think they didn't have a multitude of options of things to build with (have I shown you the dog treat catapult they made?) but they do. They just can't help themselves. I even bought them those 10 colored pens that had a clear housing so they could see how it worked while keeping it all together. Ah, the best laid plans! They decided to make 10 new pens out of the innards. Anyway...Miss M took apart the rivets holding her new Crocs together. They were Mary Janes and in no possible way would they stay on her feet without the rivets and the parts attached by them. So I told her I would not buy her another pair of shoes until she MADE herself one pair of shoes sturdy enough to get her to the mailbox and back in the rain. The mail and the shoes had to make it back to the house intact. She still thinks it was her favorite "punishment" ever! So she went to work and she succeeded. The bottoms were 1" thick corrugated cardboard with duct tape soles. The uppers, 100% acrylic felt. The style, flip flop with a heel cup. The mail: bills, bills, bills. I could have left that part out.

And she never took apart another shoe. Ball point pens, on the other hand...

No comments: