Thursday, October 8, 2009

Know what lifeguards hate?

Lifeguards hate working at the office during posted "No Lifeguard On Duty" hours. They hate it because things like this happen:

Dear Diary,

Finally opened the new crate of pool noodles. My manager had me label both ends of them "MHCC" with a Sharpie. BOTH ENDS!! Seriously. Only, the fat Sharpie is dead (which she totally knew) so I had to use a skinny one. It took forever. Then, when I went to go put them in the toy bin (which I had cleaned out earlier--by myself--thank you) you will NEVER guess what I saw!? Get this, some lady floating FACE DOWN in the diving well!!!

It was that moment. The one you practice for but hope to never have to respond to. So I dropped all the noodles, hurdled them IN my flip-flops no less, and got to the edge of the pool just as she came up to take a breath. I asked her if she was ok. And she was like, totally unaffected! Can you believe it! She said she was just fine, explaining that the sun had broke through the clouds and was shining through the water.

WHAT THE HELL?

She had been "observing" her shadow on the bottom of the pool. I was not amused and politely (though it was super hard not to just smack her with a noodle) asked her to float on her back next time no lifeguards were on duty to be "observing" her. Face down. No shit.

I never want to get THAT old.
Luv U Lots!!<3>


(It didn't help when I asked the lifeguard if she had ever read any Kate Chopin.)

No comments: