Monday, February 16, 2009

suburban mommy wants to know...

Ok.  Perhaps I am culturally illiterate.  Maybe just insensitive.  But I simply do not understand the wearing the pants under the butt cheeks thing AT ALL.  I am not a prude.  It is not a modesty thing.  Unless your bits and bobs are exposed I say anything goes as long as you are comfortable wearing it.  

And maybe that is it.  Maybe it is a display of confidence that says: "I am the sh*t.  I am so the sh*t that I don't care if you all can see my sh*t."  

But boys...you swaggering, handsome, young men...I don't want to see your dirty laundry.  I don't think the demographic of young ladies you are trying to impress want to see your dingy stained things either.  If you are going to take the step and make the statement then wash the skivs, and replace them when they start to look beyond their freshness date.

I am sure that I am on my soap box today because school is out and I was in the city getting sashimi grade ahi for dinner.  The weather is nice for February.  So nice that large men are wearing shorts and slip-on shoes and teenage boys are not wearing coats.  I was treated to many pairs of fat, pale calves (think Batali) and  skinny butt cheeks (not on the same individual!) in worn thin unders.  It is not that warm!  Not quite 40F.  I am feeling confused and in my confusion feeling tempted to start some unflattering rumors about the practice.  I think they should know that they are shuffling around looking like they have just been sodomized.  The low-pants boys, not the winter-shorts guys.  (Who, by the way, if they had a metabolism high enough to keep themselves warm enough to wear shorts at 40 degrees would not be that large to begin with.  My theory is they can get shorts roomy and comfortable without having to get them hemmed.  XXL waists are not easy to find with a 28 inch inseam.)

I didn't see the movie, but I read The Kite Runner.  I have seen prison documentaries on cable and know that I am not far off the mark.  What would it take for you beautiful boys to pull up your pants?  You must at least suspect that it makes you look like the bottom or the catcher or the bi*ch or whatever you want to call it.  And not by choice, either.  All the boys I know that choose that lifestyle are tidy and well-dressed.

1 comment:

Jennifer Babbitt said...

laughing..............Love the Kite Runner reference. I did see that movie and I will bet that young men would yank them up if they saw it.
My nephews pants are so low that he now wears a necklace type thing that he attaches his money and credit card to. This is so that a heavy wallet doesn't make his pants fall off.