Saturday, February 21, 2009

Bitty Ballerinas are the Best

Miss M's ballet was this evening.  She was stunning and graceful when she danced.  She was poised and perfectly clear when she narrated.  Wow, chica.  Tears.  Really.  In both my eyes.  It feels like yesterday when YOU were the tiny little one in the production. 

I helped with costumes for the event and have to share something with you all.  The tiny little girls got in front of mirrors and admired themselves.  The big girls got all self-critical.  I was in the green room with the older dancers listening to them all pick on themselves and I had enough.  It played out something like this:

Mama: Hold on there, ladies.  DO you know what the little fundies (fundamental level dancers) say when they look in the mirror?

Girls: Huh?  What?

Mama: Those girls check themselves out and say "Damn, I look good."

Girls: [laughter]

Mama: They elbow each other for a better view.  "I am pretty," they say.  "This looks so great on me," they reply.

Girls: [silence]

Mama: You all need to see yourselves that way again.  You are all beautiful and amazing and damn, you look good.

Girls: [nervous laughter]

And they are.  And they should.  And so should you.

 

1 comment:

Jennifer Babbitt said...

You are so good. Honestly I am crying - no I am not pregnant. It is so sad when they get to the age where they are so critical of themselves. Good for you for saying something!! sniff sniff