Tuesday, February 17, 2009

a little help?

We are just in the very beginning stages of planning a vacation home.  The lake lot is covered, but what to put on it?  And what does it say about me that I am starting my thoughts in the laundry room?  I think it says a second place has to be bullet-proof, easy to clean, and very well organized.  Let's be honest.  I don't clean the house I already have.  

I think I can eliminate closets and dressers completely with some careful planning.  I want a big laundry room with space for folding and sorting and....get this...putting away clothes.  I want an IKEA wardrobe for each of us and one or two more for guests.  Another one for house linens.  Another one for beach towels.  I want them all in one place, right in the laundry.  I also think there should be a 3/4 bath in there and a couple of changing stalls like lovely dressing rooms without the harsh lights and mirrored walls.  That way all of the mess gets left in the laundry and it is easier to tidy at the end of the weekend.  Stuff gets hauled right in there at the beginning of the weekend and put away (I hate living out of a suitcase).  Then washed stuff gets folded and put away right there or packaged up to return to civilization.

I have been fantasizing about my perfect laundry center for years.  Because I have this mental picture of a perfect space that functions seamlessly I am now having a bit of a problem.  I am sure there are drawbacks to the plan.  The biggest one is what if several people want to get ready all at once?  Solution: grab the stuff you need and go to another room.  But are there any other things wrong with my tidy Valhalla that your eyes can help me to see?

1 comment:

Jennifer Babbitt said...

That was heavenly. I am going to go back and read it again. I love dreaming about laundry rooms! I am relaxed just reading your post. The word organized is better than seeing my now buff husband naked. Thank you.