Thursday, February 19, 2009

More Than You Want to Know About Me

Usually my OCD manifests itself in counting patterns, counting dimensions on frames and cabinet doors in multiples of 4.  Often I count the pieces of fabric it took to construct a garment.  So if we are ever talking face-to-face and I appear completely absorbed in the story about the time your Great-Aunt Gertrude slept with Bonnie and Clyde at a brothel in Santa Banana...it is all an illusion.  I am counting the number of colors in your eye balls over and over and over...thus the compulsive aspect of my little condition.  Right is 15, left is 14.  Did you know that?  How can you stand being so NOT symmetrical?

My Dearest Dr. Fancypants and I frequently lament the extreme injustice of suffering with an Obsession and a Compulsion that really do not get us anywhere in the world.  It does not interfere with my daily life...unless you count the counting the lines on the road parallel to the direction I am travelling in the car which has me missing turns every once in a while.  Only being able to chew my gum between connecting lines perpendicular to the direction I am driving is harmless.  I LOVE buried fiber optic cable--no telephone poles to line up across a road.  Whew.  

But why can't I have the kind of OCD that leaves me with a spotlessly clean house or an empty laundry room?  Nope.  I am stuck tapping my teeth in the right rhythm to the point of wearing off the enamel.  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, and that why we all love you, Miss OCD! Becasue there is a bit of it in all of us! :) Miss ya...looking forward to seeing you and your brood on Sunday.

Lorraine said...

Hey, we share a love of tiaras and a small OCD issue. I count people's syllables when they're speaking--I get irritated when they don't add up to multiples of 5. I think iambic pentameter will be the death of me. (15, btw.) When I told my mom that I had been diagnosed with OCD she burst into gales of laughter and gasped: "You! Have you SEEN your kitchen??"

Hang in there.

Alpha Monkey said...

I can tell by the responses here which readers enjoy the same affliction. Everyone else must feel I am too fragile to handle what they really think of me!

OCD makes the world go round...and round and round and round and round and round....