Saturday, January 10, 2009

A Prana of fresh air


So I found my dream sweater at the REI winter clearance sale.  What?  You don't have a dream sweater?  Sure you do.  Don't you sit in a drafty spot because you love the natural light and it offers the one view of the one landscaped section of your yard, wishing you had one piece that took care of that nagging draft?

-cozy about the neck
-covers your lower back
-long enough to warm your bumper
-looks classic over jeans or a skirt to pick up the kids
-looks good over flannel pajamas
-looks good over a nightie and doesn't scratch!
-sleeves are roomy enough to drape back when you give a cliche
  shake of your arms before sitting down to write

Then there is the little matter of pockets.  When I was in High School, I used to keep candy in my navy uniform sweater pockets.  Sweet Tarts, Tart-n-Tinys, and Smarties worked well because they didn't melt and didn't make a clickity noise like those darned Gobstoppers and Spree.  And while pockets, based on a sweet sentimentality, were on the "like to have" list and not the "needs" list, they are a treat to have.  I feel like Prana (www.prana.com) read my mind and made this sweater just for me!  BTW, I love everything I have from Prana: my favorite 70's cords, my favorite knit hat (the brown one you can't see in the post about my scarf), and my favorite yoga tank.

Having failed all season to find the perfect sweater I was really thinking about knitting one.  But the size of the project was a bit daunting.  Plus, I approach knitting like a brain teaser.  I don't use patterns.  And I am not up for the trial and error involved in a big project.  Re-starting a baby sweater is no big deal.  But a Mama sweater is another thing.  And now I don't have to!  I can get started on the felted slippers I want to try.

I think this means I can finally retire the vintage (is 16 years old enough to be vintage?) JCrew sweater.  It is an olive green chunky knit cotton classic v-neck cardigan...with pockets.  It is big and baggy and SO soft and I wear it all around the house, including to bed.  I have never really worn it outside or as part of an outfit.  It has been more of a house coat.  I didn't wear it at all for years and years.  Mostly because it was packed away.  But it was packed away because I bought it for a boyfriend in college.  It was the last Christmas gift I gave him before we broke up and the only gift I took back.  I went in his dorm room and just took it.  Not to have a piece of him, but because I really loved the sweater.  It reminded me of my grandfather.  I didn't even leave a note.  But now it is coming apart at the seams and the elbows are worn terribly thin.  I am going to save it though.  Not because of any sentimental feelings about a boy...but because of sentimental feelings about a sweater.  Plus it will be the perfect addition to my Halloween costume next year...


No comments: