Monday, January 12, 2009

In the span of 10 minutes:

Miss M: How do you sustain that constant rate of babble?  I can talk, chica, like few people I know.  But you put me to shame.  Brava!

Big C: Whatever you did at school today that put you in such a great mood at the end of it, please repeat!  You are working on your homework without a fuss.  You have chosen a book to sit and read when you are done.  I think I have gotten three hugs already.  Please repeat!

Little C: I know you are mad.  I know because you told me so.  But I had a clue before that, what with all the yelling and wiping of snot on my belly at the coffee shop.  And I have to say, I admire your ability to stay clear headed in the face of not getting what you want.  Here's how the scene played out:

FADE IN...

INTERIOR: LIVING ROOM, DAY

MAMA
(calmly)
What did you think I meant when I said stop the fussing or there will be no hot chocolate for you?

LITTLE C
(sobbing) 
That I wouldn't get any if I kept fussing.

MAMA
(calmly)
And what did you choose?

LITTLE C
(sobbing)
To keep fussing.

MAMA
(calmly)
So why are you surprised that you can't have the cocoa?

Little C falls to the floor on his knees.  His eyes close and his head rolls back.  He drops his arms to his sides, palms forward, in a gesture of surrender.  His mouth is wide open and a siren wail is emanating from within.

MAMA
(calmly)
Do you want to rest in my bed or your bed?

LITTLE C
(sobbing)
My bed.

INTERIOR: LITTLE C'S BEDROOM, DAY

LITTLE C
(sobbing)
Mama?  I want you to know that I am not pitching a fit because of the hot chocolate anymore.  I am pitching a fit because now I am not having an after school snack with Miss M and Big C.  Please close my door.

FADE OUT...

1 comment:

Jennifer Babbitt said...

Amazing that he can reason when in that state. Too cute. Hope all is going well with you guys.