Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Points Against Public Schools

I am toying around with the idea that my five year old is too educated for his own good.  Well...for my good, anyway.  I am considering pulling him out of public education and teaching him myself.  Does a kindergardener need logic?  Should he be able to pull an end-run around my sensible directions?  

Let me work on some simple "do what I say without asking me why" exercises.  I will pencil out some "respect me or else" assignments.  Find some independent reading to support my new leanings towards "no need to think for yourself" child rearing philosophy.  I'll let you know what I come up with.

Too drastic?  You let me know what you think after I tell you the one he just pulled at the dinner table.

Little C: "Did you know my stomach has four parts?"

Mama: "Are you a Ruminant?"

Little C: "What?"

Mama: "Like a cow or a goat.  Giraffes too."

Little C: "Uh.  No.  You see, the first section is for swallowed food that I did not chew.  This one is at level zero.  The second one is for chewed up food that I swallowed.  This one is 100%.  The third one is for drinks and it is also full.  The fourth one is for dessert and is at zero."

Then he just smiles at me with those Paul Newman eyes, rosy red cheeks, and mop of blonde hair.  He can be very persuasive even when he does not come up with these wild theories.

Mama: "Let me make sure I get this straight.  Are you telling me that you have chewed and swallowed as much steak and baked potato as your body can hold?"

Little C:  "Yes."

Mama: "And that you have followed my advice and actually chewed your food this evening."

Little C: "Yes."

At this point he starts to look encouraged.

Mama: "So even though you have eaten less than half of your dinner you are telling me that you are full.  But not so full that you couldn't follow up with a big bowl of ice cream."

Little C: "YES!"

Mama: "Since there is no dessert tonight...you can use that fourth chamber to fit the rest of your potato, kid."

No comments: