Saturday, March 13, 2010

because I like symmetry

Tonight in the car I patiently explained to the kids why gracious manners and being aware of those around you is important. Punctuating a brief silence Little C said, "Thank you for sharing that information with me mommy." After we got home, the cygnets were genuinely sweet and kind to each other and very helpful around the house.

So to counter balance my less-than-exemplary-parenting-rant previously posted, I would like to offer up a few of the things I think I am doing right in the form of some phrases commonly used at our house:

"People interact with the world the way they feel about themselves."

"Finding things to feel grumpy about is a bad habit just like finding things to be happy about is a good habit."

"Trouble is trouble but lying is double."

"What did you do that contributed to the problem?"

"What can you do to contribute to the solution?"

"That uncomfortable feeling in your chest is supposed to happen. It is a good thing because it means you recognize your mistake. It is called sorry. When you apologize we will both feel better."

"When you make excuses for your mistakes you are not learning from them."

"May I have a turn when you are done please?"

"Tell me all about your day."

"Tell me something you did that made you feel proud today." (Insert any one of a multitude of positive words.)

"What did you do that made the world a little bit better today?"

"Let's go build a nest." (Which means we make a huge pile of blankets on my bed and cuddle up in the middle of it.)

"I love you." (You cannot overdo this one.)



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the way you make our children think about their place in this world.

Word verification: Ingsta - a gang of authors.

Tricia said...

I just spent probably an hour reading your blog, because of a comment you left on Forgotten Bookmarks. I wish I knew your family in real life - you all are insane, funny, grounded, real. And have Lego lovers (important for compatibility with our family). But this post is great - I'll have to bookmark it to remind myself of good ways to react in the moment.

Alpha Monkey said...

One hour, Tricia, and you pegged us! Mostly I know this because you put "insane" first on your list! Thanks for reading!

(Your recipes...those are going to get me in trouble! Moose is requesting the ginger lobster cakes. I don't know if you read back that far...but I have "fissues" and don't care for seafood other than sushi. But even I have to say I am willing to try the lobster ginger cakes! I'll let you know how it goes.)