Sunday, November 29, 2009

stew-pendous!

I say, if your children are going to be watching television anyway, make them watch the Food Network. (Shhh. I am going to pretend I have sponsors for a minute. Humor me.) I want to be clear that Food Network does not sponsor this blog.

In fact, your children should start watching it while still in the womb. And here is why I say this absurd thing. Because some day your child may just surprise you with a made-up soup like this:

Miss M's Magnificent (mushroom-free!) Vegetarian Coconut and Green Curry Soup

1 big carrot, sliced the way you like it
1 clove garlic, chopped tiny
2 chopped scallions which are NOT the same as leeks but are the same as green onions
1 sweet red pepper cut the way you like it
olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan

cook those things a little to soften them up

1 can of coconut milk (the full-fat creamy kind, please)
4 cups of stock (use vegetable if your vegetarian is paying attention, but chicken is better)
1 tablespoon prepared green curry paste
1 teaspoon prepared ginger paste (it comes in a tube, but fresh would be better)
1/2 of a key lime, squeezed and dropped in the pot for extra flavor
salt and pepper to taste

warm that all up a bit and serve over rice


I am not exaggerating when I say that it is VERY, VERY yummy and simple to make. Moose and I added a little left over turkey to our bowls which was also very good. And mushrooms would be incredible in here, but you'll need to change the name. If you trust me even just a little bit and like coconut curry at all, you should try this soup.

No comments: