Wednesday, November 18, 2009

So this Mom Walks into an Insult...

Our school is short on meeting space. So when I go in to run a Literature Group with first graders, we are at the mercy of everyone else's schedule. Today: LUCKY!! We had space in the gym. Extra lucky, because there was a pile of mats I could park on while the kids sit on the floor. The inequity was not missed by any of the kids.

D-Man: Hey! Why are you on the mat?

Ladybug: I call the corner!

Mama: Hold on! You all get the floor...so you can...spread out, yah, have lots of space. In fact we have the WHOLE gym today.

Reptile: (Raising his hand politely) Then why are you on the mat if we have all this space?

Mama: Well, I have old lady bones. And sitting on the ground is very uncomfortable for me.

Valentine: You have old lady arms too. Can I see that jiggly part?

Tangle: Wiggle your arms like this!

Kangaroo: (shy, quiet tittering)

Mama: et tu, Kangaroo?

2 comments:

Lorraine said...

Scene: Bathtub. Occupied for last 3 minutes by exhausted lawyer, mother of three little kids. They sense with their evil kid radar that she is about to relax so in they charge, ripping off their clothes and splashing into the tub with her. Big sigh. Out she gets, resignedly, to hear: "Gee Mom, your bum is huge." To which she replies, "Thanks. That's really special." The reply? "It's not that special, it's just really big."

Jennifer Babbitt said...

I love the title!! I also love the animal names!