Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I am a sucker!

I am. Let me just start with that.

How do school principals and teachers spot mamas like me? How do they know if I start in with one project it will turn into 3? And why can't I use my PTSD excuse outside of the PTSA meetings? (I really do start to panic at the thought of attending those meetings!) I must give off some funky mother hen pheromone. Maybe they smell it in my unwashed hair. I need to bathe more often. Maybe even daily.

But if I did I never would have met Zac today. Zac who should be in 6th grade but is not. Zac who is sweet and kind and funny and vulnerable and unfocused and distracted and sweet. It took us a good hour and a half to complete one assignment and correct two others. It should have taken 1/3 of that time, potty breaks and broken pencils included. And that principal KNEW I would fall for this kid and that is why she hooked us up. Because taking care of my own three plus the 23 first graders in my three literature groups wasn't enough. Now I have a soft spot for Zac too. The dear, little thing.

And Devin. How did his teacher know to send him into the hallway right where I was working? It is a conspiracy and that damn principal is behind it, that's how. I was not even scheduled to work with him but how do I NOT help when he is sitting there goofing off with his book closed? But the good news is Devin got his work done. I had to bribe him with stories about why the time is off on my watch and where I went on vacation and what I did there. But I learned that, properly motivated, that kid can divide words into syllables like a champ! And he learned he could do it too.

And those TEACHERS!! They are like vultures! All chatty and sweet and appreciative. Thanking me every time they turn the corner. Waiting until I am feeling so happy that Zac is getting it and he is smiling and focused and Devin was off getting more catch-up work to do with me...and then they pounce. I was carrion in cashmere. And now the third grade teachers could use some help with some writing remediation (which means "please come and work with them") for a few (lord help them but it had better only be a few!) students.

And I will do it. Because sometimes just having a Mama checking on you helps. Even if it is not your Mama. Sometimes laughing while you work and getting some individual attention helps. And sometimes, most of the time, this Mama is actually happy to spread her wings a little wider and make a little room for a few more.

2 comments:

Jennifer Babbitt said...

You are so amazing.

Alpha Monkey said...

Jen, doll, I just spent a fabulous weekend at your house being treated like a celebrity. I watched you juggle your chaos with grace. In the last month you have hosted a wedding at your house, had a couple of birthday parties for a couple of your kids, looked out for Nick, and offered to have a baby shower too! You have 4 kids, run a business, are taking care of 2 dogs and 4 puppies, got fierce with a teacher who needed it, and you look gorgeous doing it! Doll, if my car had broken down like that I would have cried and called Moose. You just calmly called a tow truck. I never would have thought of that!

I am not going to even mention the rest...but you know that I have just scratched the surface here! YOU are AMAZING too! And that is why you are the first person I always call on Mother's Day! I love you! Thanks again for the best weekend!