Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Shiksa Can Cook

Moose brought home Babka last week from a Kosher bakery in town.  It was ok.  The chocolate filling had a good flavor but the bread:chocolate ratio was off.  I am all about the ratio of ingredients in my sweets.  That is why the tiny square Snickers are far superior to any other size.  Also, the Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs leave the regular cups in the dustbin.  It just has the proper thickness of chocolate to the heavy peanut buttery filling.  Instead of giving anything up for Lent, I have decided to pick things up for Lent.  That Catholic upbringing still hangs with me.  Sort of.  But I am being extra nice to myself for the season.  You should try it.  It involves peanut butter eggs.  

Back to the Babka.

So the Babka had too much bread in comparison to the chocolate.  And the bread was a little too...bready.  Not sweet-doughy enough for my liking.  And...can you believe they call themselves Kosher?...no streusel on top!  I think I remember reading somewhere about pork, pickles, salt, and streusel on the Babka in a college Judeo-Christian Heritage class.  

But it is not really their fault.  My standards for Chocolate Babka were set pretty high.  You see, I have experienced Zabar's Chocolate Babka.  I am spoiled for anything less.  So yesterday I went looking for a recipe.

I went to Smittenkitchen.com and she directed me to Martha.  I should have known to start there.  It is SO good!  Think warm cinnamon roll full of chocolate covered with a crisp streusel that tastes like little sugar cookies.  Plus, the raw dough has the soft yummy texture of  a baby's bottom.  There were so many craving going on all at once I could hardly stand it.

Not Zabar's.  But very close.  

I am off to deliver a plate of chocolate thanks to the vet clinic for all their work with Tanner last week.  I am going to make a little snack for myself too.  Otherwise, if I hit a red light, I might end up delivering half a plate of thanks!  After all--it is Lent.

No comments: