Monday, May 18, 2009

Dust off my WHAT?

So my dentist's name has many synonyms: uncontrolled, unruly, uncivilized, barbaric.  He is none of these things in the office.  He is smart and friendly and funny.  He seems to be in control of himself and his staff, follows expected rules, and carries no whiff of barbarism.  His name can also mean "deviating from the expected or normal course."  It is the latter that comes to mind today.  

I don't know who programmed his musical offerings today but I think they were messing with the N2O nozzle before they set up the playlist.  There was come classic office friendly soft rock, then something that sounded like the Mexican Restaurant next to his office, a little Sinatra, and then Amy Winehouse.  But not the "Rehab" you might expect.  It wasn't even "Cherry" which is my favorite because it is clever.  It was the *explicit* cut of "Fuck Me Pumps".  Not generally part of your typical dentist office repertoire.  I was numb up to my eyeball at the time (have you ever not been able to feel yourself blink?  It is a little freaky) so I forgot to point it out when he came back in the room.  

But I think it is safe to say while he is generally civilized and completely ruly, he definitely deviated from the norm with that one.  But now I can't stop giggling thinking about what the older lady in the room must have looked like if she caught the words: half numb, slack-jawed, and wide eyed wearing her clip-on bib.  There is no mistaking the lyrics in the last line of the song as Amy so thoughtfully enunciates and slows down just like her third grade teacher taught her to when speaking publicly.  

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

Laffing my head off in freezong stupid Calgary. The last few posts are gems, my dear.