Monday, October 4, 2010

Conversation, at the end of which I refrain from yelling HA!

The weather has turned quite chill in the mornings here. Which means the next 5 school mornings will all include some form of the following conversation:

Mama: You will need warm sweaters!
Kid: I've got one.
Mama: Do you need to keep the inside of your backpack warm? Put it on your body, child.
Kid: Awwwwww!



Other Kid: What kind of fleece is this?
Mama: Polar fleece.
Other Kid: Is it a hide?
Mama: No. It is recycled plastic turned into fibers.
Other Kid: So it's not polar bear hide?
Mama: No. Go get in the car.
Other Kid: But is it polar bear fur like their wool? Is it cut off?
Mama: No. Plastic bottles. The polycarbonate is melted and spun kind of like cotton candy. Get in the car.
Other Kid: I can't wear this. It feels like polar bear hide and that makes me sad.
Mama: FINE! Get. In. The. Car.


First Kid: This sweater is wrong.
Mama: Good. God. Get your head through the hole.
First Kid: But the inside of the wrist part is bothering my hands. Like it is tearing at my flesh.
Mama: Well, cotton jersey is known for its tearing properties. Put your head through the hole.
First Kid: Why would you BUY me this then?
Mama: 1. It is a nice hand-me-down. 2. Sarcasm. Put on your sweater. Get in the car.
First Kid: I CAN'T WEAR THIS!
Mama: Grab another one. I am getting in the car. I suggest you have your butt in your seat inside of 45 seconds.


Mama: Where the heck is your sweater?!
First Kid: The only other one I will wear has oatmeal crusty on the zipper.
Mama: Good. God. We're leaving. We're just leaving.


Both Kids: M-m-m-m-m-mmamma? C-c-can you turn up the heat? It is cold in the car!

2 comments:

Pat said...

Those sound *exactly* like the conversations at our house. Abby insisted she could wear tights to soccer Saturday morning (it was about 40 degrees), then cried it was so cold. Some lessons must be experiential.

Jennifer Babbitt said...

Hot Damn we have the same kids, but this involves sunscreen or swimsuits here.